Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Best Sporting Event Ever...


Monday played host to what I in all honesty would call the greatest sporting event ever (this is Rand by the way). Tiger Woods went head to head with Rocco Mediate, who at the beginning of the day was ranked 158th in the world. They were playing in an 18 hole playoff for the U.S. Open. At the end of the day,one would be a champion and the other would be forgotten. I myself thought Tiger would roll right past him for his 14th major championship. I was in for a treat... The first ten holes played out as I expected, with Tiger jumping out to a 3 stroke lead after birdies at the 6th and 7th holes, and an unlikely par putt from the fringe on number ten. I thought it was over...Rocco battled back, however, as Tiger made a few rare mistakes. When Rocco birdied the 14th hole to pull even with Woods, the tension in the gallery was thick enough to cut with a knife. Rocco then kicked up the tension one more notch when he birdied fifteen to take a one stroke lead with three holes to play. They both parred the 16th and 17th, but once more Tiger displayed his heroics with a birdie on 18, forcing a "playoff playoff." On the first playoff hole, Tiger pulled away with a par which was good enough for his third U.S. Open title and fourteenth major championship. As for me, my heart was pounding for the last five or six holes. As an avid golfer myself, I was eating it up. I have to say that was the greatest U.S. Open I've ever seen and I'm brave enough to say it's also the best sporting event I've ever witnessed. Thank you Tiger and Rocco for giving us all a show that is sure to be remembered!

1 thoughts:

Sadie Love said...

Good call. I cant believe he totally pulled it off. He is the man!